Tweetfuel from Stinkdigital on Vimeo.
TweetFuel is an Arduino-controlled experiment that uses the Nike+ FuelBand to measure the health of our Twitter account.
This is something I meant to write about a long time ago. I also wanted to write a detailed and smart post about how and why the project came about, what it’s meant to say about Stinkdigital, how we had to get Nike onboard because we do a lot of work for them, maybe share some details about how and why we simplified the site design to make it feel less like a ‘product’ launch, how we used HTML5/JS, Arduino, Python, and the coverage we got in FWA, FastCo Create, FastCo Design, and lots of other magazines and blogs.
But time has passed, it’s was launched almost 3 months ago now…. so all you really need to know is that we got it from concept to working prototype in 5 days.
Whenever someone follows, RTs or mentions @stinkdigital, our custom made motorized kit spins a mounted Nike+ FuelBand.
So far the video has had 24,100 plays — and I’m still super happy with it as a piece of work.
Retweets count. (So do mentions.)
Some (not very good photos) of Stinkdigital London.
I’m 1 month into my new role as Exec Producer: here’s 10 things I’ve noticed.
- We work direct with brands and in partnership with agencies.
- We get lots of enquiries.
- We are lucky enough to be selective about the work we take on.
- We have a core of fulltime staff backed-up by a pool of trusted freelancers.
- We run the business on Google Apps. (Gmail, Google Calendars, Google Docs)
- We use Google Talk in the office and Skype for international calls.
- We use shared docs and collaborative editing… a lot.
- I haven’t opened MS Office since I started.
- I have 2 regular meetings a week (one at Stinkdigital, one at Stink) and a call with NYC.
- The meeting room is usually free.
The thing I’ve really noticed though is how fast things move. No I mean it…. really fast. It’s built into the DNA of the place. Part through necessity, part through planning. Obviously that brings it’s own subtle challenges; but on the whole it’s been really refreshing.
Apart from how we work; the actual work is pretty great too.
We started the year off by winning FWA Site of the Month for CNN Ecosphere, we then launched Wrangler Europe SS12 Directed by Arno Salters. and we’ve just been rated in the Top 5 Production Companies Worldwide in The Gunn Report. There’s much more great stuff in the pipeline too.
I can’t believe it’s February already.